Urban Forestry Supervisor
Purpose of Job
This position supervises multiple urban forestry maintenance crews. This is a professional and skilled position that involves some manual work. This position will execute the Urban Forestry division plans and work towards its goals and objectives. This job involves work associated with the planting, care and maintenance, and removal of trees on City-owned property, parks, and rights-of-way. This job requires the use of specialized equipment associated with urban forestry.
Essential Job Duties
Supervise Urban Forestry Crews
- Supervises directs and evaluates Urban Forestry Technicians and their work. Handles employee concerns and problems, directs their work and provides counseling and discipline.
- Ensures all staff operate equipment and performs work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Prepares or completes various forms, correspondence, reports, logs, and other documents.
- Participates in the preparation and administration of the urban forestry budget; submits recommendations; monitors expenditures.
- Purchase and request supplies and materials needed to perform work.
- Communicates with supervisor, employees, other departments, City officials, the public, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review the status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Participates in the selection of urban forestry staff; provides or coordinates staff training.
- Operates various equipment and tools which are used for daily tree work projects.
- Operates all equipment and tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Knowledge of principles, procedures, and methods of arboriculture and horticulture.
- Ability to inspect and make appropriate decisions regarding diseased and potentially hazardous trees.
- Performs heavy manual labor on varied assignments.
- Implement work zone safety procedures.
- Manage pruning and maintenance activities for trees on city property, parks, and right-of-way.
- Manage planting, transplanting, watering, fertilization, mulching projects.
Maintains and transports equipment
- Manages inspections of all equipment including fluids, belts, and filters.
- Manages the maintenance of all equipment including cleaning, greasing, sharpening.
- Manages all work and equipment storage areas.
- Establishes loading and unloading procedures for all equipment for transporting to work sites.
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through obtaining a Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in forestry or related field from a four-year College or University, plus two (2) years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must have Arborist Certification from the International Society of Arboriculture.
TN Driver’s License, CDL Required
Must obtain Category #3 Tennessee Pesticide Applicators’ Certification within a 12-month period.
Your application has been successfully submitted.